Department of Plant Science
School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Focus on plant synthetic biology for production of high value natural products, plant secondary metabolism and metabolomics: elucidate the mechanism of the biosynthesis and regulation of natural products in plants (such as alkaloids in Catharanthus roseus and artemisinin in Artemisia annue), manipulate the production of natural products in plants by genetic modification, metabolomics study on the transgenic plants.
2018 – now Deputy director, Department of Plant Science, School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiaotong University
2017 – now Associate professor, School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Research on plant synthetic biology, metabolic regulation and metabolomic study of high-value natural products
2014 – 2016 Assistant professor, School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Research on the metabolomic study and metabolic engineering on natural products in plants
2009 – 2014 Doctorate in Natural Products, with Prof. Rob Verpoorte, Leiden University, Research on: Metabolomics charachteristics of Catharanthus roseus plants in time and space.
2006 - 2013 Doctorate in Biomedical Engineering (Biotechnology), with Prof. Kexuan Tang, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Research on: Metabolic engineering on terpenoid indole alkaloids biosynthesis in Catharanthus roseus
2002 – 2006 Bachelor in Plant Science and Technology, School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiaotong University
Current Research Projects
- Comprehensive application of CRISPR gene editing and metabolic engineering technology to study plant synthetic biology based on Artemisia annua, 2018-2020, Shanghai Natural Science Foundation.
- Study on green environmental protection extraction technology of terpenoids in plants by natural deep eutectic solvents, 2018-2020, Shanghai Jiaotong University.
- Studies on metabolism and molecular mechanism of ethylene regulating synthesis of terpenoid indole alkaloids from Catharanthus roseus, 2016-2018, National Natural Science Foundation of China.
- CrERF5, an AP2/ERF Transcription Factor, Positively Regulates the Biosynthesis of Bisindole Alkaloids and Their Precursors in Catharanthus roseus (2019) Frontiers in plant science.
- Accumulation of terpenoid indole alkaloids in jasmonic acid elicited Catharanthus roseus plants before and during flowering (2018) Pak. J. Bot., 50(3):1077-1083.
- Qifang Pan*, Mohd Zuwairi Saiman, Natali Rianika Mustafa, Robert Verpoorte, Kexuan Tang. A simple and rapid HPLC-DAD method for simultaneously monitoring the accumulation of alkaloids and precursors in different parts and different developmental stages of Catharanthus roseus plants (2016) Journal of Chromatography B 1014:10-16.
- Qifang Pan*, Natali Rianika Mustafa, Kexuan Tang, Young Hae Choi, Robert Verpoorte. Monoterpenoid indole alkaloids biosynthesis and its regulation in Catharanthus roseus: a literature review from genes to metabolites. (2015) Phytochemistry Reviews DOI 10.1007/s11101-015-9406-4.
- Qifang Pan, Yuntao Dai, Tri Rini Nuringtyas, Natali Rianika Mustafa, Anna Elisabeth Schulte, Robert Verpoorte, Young Hae Choi. Investigation of the chemomarkers correlated with flower color in different organs of Catharanthus roseus using NMR-based metabolomics. (2013) Phytochemical Analysis 25(1):66-74.
- Qifang Pan, Quan Wang, Fang Yuan, Shihai Xing, Jingya Zhao, Young Hae Choi,Robert Verpoorte, Yuesheng Tian, Guofeng Wang, Kexuan Tang. Overexpression of ORCA3 and G10H in Catharanthus roseus Plants Regulated Alkaloid Biosynthesis and Metabolism Revealed by NMR-Metabolomics. (2012) PLoS ONE 7(8): e43038.
- Qifang Pan, Yu Chen, Quan Wang, Fang Yuan, Shihai Xing, Yuesheng Tian, Jingya Zhao, Xiaofen Sun, Kexuan Tang. Effect of plant growth regulators on the biosynthesis of vinblastine, vindoline and catharanthine in Catharanthus roseus. (2010) Plant Growth Regul 60:133–141.