Yongguang (Forrest) Guan
Department of Food Science and Technology
Address: Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 800 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai 200240
Recent Research Interests
Design and develop novel nano- and micro-sized antibacterial materials, reactors, and drug delivery systems.
Professional Experience & Training
- 2018.05-present, Tenure Track Associate Professor
Department of Food Science and Technology, School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- 2017.03-2018.02, Post-doctoral Scholar
United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center
- 2016.03-2018.02, Post-doctoral Scholar
University of Maryland, College Park
- 2013.03-2016.02, Post-doctoral Research Assistant
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Ph.D. 2012, in Food Chemistry, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China
M.S. 2008, in Natural Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Fujian Agriculture and Forest University, Fuzhou, China
B.S. 2005, in Food Science and Technology, Fujian Agriculture and Forest University, Fuzhou, China
- Yongguang Guan, Zi Teng, Lei Mei, Jinglin Zhang, Qin Wang, Yaguang Luo*. An entrapped metal-organic framework system for controlled release of ethylene. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2019, 533, 207-215.
- Yongguang Guan, Qixin Zhong*. Stable aqueous foams created with intercalated montmorillonite nanoclay coated by sodium caseinate. Journal of Food Engineering, 2019, 248, 36-45.
- Yongguang Guan, Huaiqiong Chen, Qixin Zhong*. Nanoencapsulation of caffeic acid phenethyl ester in sucrose fatty acid esters to improve activities against cancer cells. Journal of Food Engineering, 2019, 246, 125-133.
- Yongguang Guan, Chen-Yu Tsao, David Quan, Ying Li, Lei Mei, Yingying Song, Boce Zhang, Yi Liu, Gregory Payne, William Bentley, Qin Wang*. Focusing quorum sensing signaling by nano-magnetic assembly. Environmental Microbiology, 2018, 20, 2585-2597.
- Yongguang Guan, Yaguang Luo, Zi Teng, Bin Zhou, Lei Mei, Gary Bauchan, Qin Wang*. A Novel Sensing Chip for Probing Chlorine Permeation into Simulated Produce Cracks. Advanced Materials Interfaces, 2018, 5, 1800119.
- Yongguang Guan, Chen-Yu Tsao, David Quan, Ying Li, Lei Mei, Jinglin Zhang, Boce Zhang, Yi Liu, William Bentley, Gregory Payne, Qin Wang*. An immune magnetic nano-assembly for specifically amplifying intercellular quorum sensing signals. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2018, 172, 197-206.
- Yongguang Guan, Qixin Zhong*. Encapsulation of ferulic acid ethyl ester in caseinate to suppress off-flavor formation in UHT milk. Food Chemistry, 2017, 237, 532-537.
- Yongguang Guan, Jine Wu, Qixin Zhong*. Eugenol improves physical and chemical stabilities of nanoemulsions loaded with β-carotene. Food Chemistry, 2016, 194, 787-796.
- Yongguang Guan, Qixin Zhong*. The improved thermal stability of anthocyanins at pH 5.0 by gum arabic. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 2015, 64, 706-712.
- Yongguang Guan, Qixin Zhong*. Gum arabic and Fe2+ synergistically improve the heat and acid stability of norbixin at pH 3.0-5.0. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2014, 62, 12668-12677.
- Yongguang Guan, Qiang Tang, Xiong Fu, Shujuan Yu*, Shaowei Wu, and Mingshun Chen. Preparation of antioxidants from sugarcane molasses. Food Chemistry, 2014, 152, 552-557.
- Yongguang Guan, Mingshun Chen, Shujuan Yu*, Qiang Tang, He Yan. Developing an effective means to reduce 5-hydroxymethyl-2-furfural from caramel colour. Food Chemistry, 2014, 143, 60-65.
- Yongguang Guan, Wenhui Shi, Shujuan Yu*, Xianbing Xu. Ultrafiltration of caramel color solutions reduces 5-hydroxymethyl-2-furaldehyde. Journal of Membrane Science, 2011, 380, 9-12.
- Yongguang Guan, Benshan Zhang, Shujuan Yu*, Xiangru Wang, Xianbing Xu, Jun Wang, Zhong Han, Pingjun Zhang, Hua Lin. Effects of Ultrasound on a Glycin–Glucose Model System—A Means of Promoting Maillard Reaction. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 2011, 4, 1391-1398.
- Yongguang Guan, Pei Yu, Shujuan Yu*, Xianbing Xu, Wnhui Shi, Weiwei Sun. Effects of pressure on the glucose-ammonium sulfite caramel solutions. Food Chemistry, 2011, 127, 596-601.
- Yongguang Guan, Xinlan Wu, Shujuan Yu*, Xianbing Xu. Proposed formation mechanism, antioxidant activity and MDA-MB-231 cells survival analysis of two glucose–ammonium sulfite caramel colour melanoidins fractions. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2011, 86, 948-955.
- Yongguang Guan, Hua Lin, Zhong Han, Jun Wang, Shujuan Yu*, Xinan Zeng, Yanyan Liu, Caihong Xu, Weiwei Sun. Effects of pulsed electric field treatment on a bovine serum albumin–dextran model system, a means of promoting the Maillard reaction. Food Chemistry, 2010, 123, 275-280.
Honors & Awards
1. National Youth Science and Technology Innovation Award
2. Excellent Doctoral Dissertation Award of Guangdong Province in China
3. Science and Technology Award of Guangdong Province Guangdong in China
Enroll International Students
Welcome international graduate students to join us. We enroll 1-2 international graduate students each year.