Department of Food Science
Address: No. 209, Building of Agriculture & Biology
1. Starch modification
2. Structure-functional property of polysaccharides
B.S. 2003 Shandong Agricultural University, Food Science and Engineering
Ph.D 2007 The University of Hong Kong, Food Science and nutrition
Dissertation: Mechanical properties of starchy foods in relation to texture studies and digestion
Jan 2008- Jan 2012 ：
Post-doctoral Research Associate, Department of Food Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907;
Nov 2012-present ：
Associate Professor, Department of Food Science and Technology, School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China 200140
Zhongquan Sui earned a B. S. degree in Food Science and Engineering from Shandong Agricultural University, China. She received her Ph.D. in Food Science and Nutrition from the University of Hong Kong, investigating the mechanical properties of starchy food in relation to texture and digestibility. During 2008-2012, she worked as a post-doctoral researcher in the Whislter carbohydrate research center at Purdue University, researching the relationship between starch granule architecture, molecular structure, and reactivity.
She is an associate professor and the undergraduate program director of Department of Food Science and Engineering at Shanghai Jiaotong University. Her research field is focused on the structure and functions of starch and non-starch polysaccharides. She has published more than 30 original publications, 2 book chapters, and 5 patent applications.
1. Z. Q. Sui and X. L. Kong (2018). Physical modifications of starch. Springer.
2. P. W. Lucas, Z. Q. Sui, K.Y. Ang, H. T. W. Tan, S. H. King, B. Sadler and N. Peri, 2009. Meals vs. snacks and the human dentition and diet during the Palaeolithic. In: The Evolution of Hominid Diets: Integrating Approaches to the Study of Palaeolithic Subsidence (eds. J-J Hublin & MP Richards), pp. 31-41. Dordrecht: Springer.
3. P. W. Lucas, K. R. Agrawal, Z. Q. Sui, K. Y. Ang & H. T. W. Tan. 2008. Methods of ingestion and incisal designs. In: Technique and Application in Dental Anthropology (eds. JD Irish & GC Nelson). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
1. C. Qiu, P. Li, Z. J. Li, H. Corke*, Z. Q. Sui*, (2019). Combined speed and duration of milling affect the physicochemical properties of rice flour. Food Hydrocolloids, 89, 188-195.
2. X. T. Ye, Y. Zhang, C. Qiu, H. Corke*, Z. Q. Sui*, (2019). Extraction and characterization of starch granule-associated proteins from rice that affect in vitro starch digestibility. Food Chemistry, 276, 754-760.
3. M. He, C. Qiu, Z. Liao, Z. Q. Sui*, H. Corke*, (2018). Impact of cooking conditions on the properties of rice: Combined temperature and cooking time. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 117,87-94.
4. Z. H. Liao, H. R. Cai, Z. K. Xu, J. Wang, C. Qiu, J. Xie, W. Y. Huang*, Z. Q. Sui*, (2018). Protective Role of Antioxidant Huskless Barley Extracts on TNF-α-Induced Endothelial Dysfunction in Human Vascular Endothelial Cells. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 2018, 3846029.
5. W.Y. Huang, H. Wu, D. J. Li, J. F. Song, Y. D. Xiao, C. Q. Liu, J. Z. Zhou*, Z. Q. Sui*, (2018). Protective Effects of Blueberry Anthocyanins against H2O2-Induced Oxidative Injuries in Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 66(7), 1638-1648.
6. W. Y. Huang, Z. Yan, D. J. Li, Y. H. Ma, J. Z. Zhou*, Z. Q. Sui*, (2018). Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of blueberry anthocyanins on high glucose-induced human retinal capillary endothelial cells, Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 2018(2): 1862462.
7. W.Y. Huang, X.N. Wang, J. Wang*, Z.Q. Sui*, (2018). Malvidin and its Glycosides from Vaccinium ashei Improve Endothelial Function by Anti-inflammatory and Angiotensin I-Converting Enzyme Inhibitory Effects. Natural Product Communications, 13(1), 49-52.
8. Y. Wu, R. Guo, N.N. Cao, X. J. Sun, Z. Q. Sui*, Q. B. Guo*. (2018). A systematical rheological study of polysaccharide from Sophora alopecuroides L. seeds. Carbohydrate Polymers, 180, 63-71.
9. R. Y. Gan, M. F. Wang, W. Y. Lui, K. Wu, S. H. Dai, Z. Q. Sui*, and H. Corke*. (2017). Diversity in antioxidant capacity, phenolic and flavonoid contents of 42 edible beans from China. Cereal Chemistry, 94, 291-297.
10. R. Y. Gan, H.B. Li, A. Gunaratne, Z. Q. Sui*, and H. Corke*. (2017). Effects of Fermented Edible Seeds and Their Products on Human Health: Bioactive Components and Bioactivities. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 16, 489-531.
11. R. Y. Gan, H. B. Li ,Z. Q. Sui*, H.Corke*, (2018). Absorption, Metabolism, Anti-Cancer Effect and Molecular Targets of Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG): An Updated Review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 58, 924-941.
12. R. Y. Gan, W. Y. Lui, K. Wu, C. L. Chan, S. H. Dai, Z. Q. Sui*, and H. Corke*, (2017). Bioactive Compounds and Bioactivities of Germinated Edible Seeds and Sprouts: An Updated Review. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 59,1-14.
13. R. Y. Gan, W. Y. Lui, M. F. Wang, Z. Q. Sui*, and H. Corke*, (2016). Accumulation of solvent-soluble and solvent-insoluble antioxidant phenolics in edible bean sprouts: implication of germination. Functional Foods in Health and Disease, 6, 519-535.
14. Z. Q. Sui, T. M. Yao, X. T. Ye, J. S. Bao, X. L. Kong*, Y. Wu*, (2016). Physicochemical properties and starch digestibility of in-kernel heat-moisture treated waxy, low, and high-amylose rice starch. Starch-Stärke, 68, 1-9.
15. X. T. Ye, Z. Q. Sui*, (2016). Physicochemical properties and starch digestibility of Chinese noodles in relation to optimal cooking time. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 84, 428-433.
16. X. T. Ye, X., F. Lu, T. M. Yao, R. Y. Gan, Z. Q. Sui*, (2016). Optimization of reaction conditions for improving nutritional properties in heat moisture treated maize starch. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 93, 34-40.
17. W. Y. Huang, Y. M. Zhu, C. Y. Li, Z. Q. Sui* and W. H. Min*. (2016). Effect of blueberry anthocyanins malvidin and glycosides on the antioxidant properties in endothelial cells. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity, 2016, 1591803.
18. X. L. Kong, S. Kasapis, P. Zhu, Z. Q. Sui*, J. S. Bao*, H. Corke. (2016). Physicochemical and structural characteristics of starches from Chinese hull-less barley cultivars. International Journal of Food & Technology, 51, 509-518.
19. Z. Q. Sui, T. M. Yao, J. F. Zhong,Y. X. Li, X. L. Kong*, L. Z. Ai*. (2016). Ozonation Treatment Improves Properties of Wheat Flour and the Baking Quality of Cake. Philipp. Agric. Sci. 99, 50-57.
20. X. L. Kong, X. Zhou, Z. Q. Sui, J. S. Bao*. (2016). Effects of gamma irradiation on physicochemical properties of native and acetylated wheat starch. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 91, 1141-1150.
21. Z. Q. Sui, K. C. Huber, J. N. BeMiller. (2015). Effects of the order of addition of reagents and alkali on modification of wheat starches. Carbohydrate Polymers, 125, 180-188.
22. X. L. Kong, Y. L. Chen, P. Zhu, Z. Q. Sui*, H. Corke, J. S. Bao*. (2015). Relationships among genetic, structural and functional properties of rice starch. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 63, 6241-6248.
23. Z. Q. Sui, T. M. Yao, Y. Zhao, X. T. Ye, X. L. Kong, L. Z. Ai. (2015). Effects of heat-moisture treatment reaction conditions on the physicochemical and structural properties of maize starch: Moisture and length of heating. Food Chemistry, 173, 1125-1132.
24. X. L. Kong, D. Qiu, X. T. Ye, J. S. Bao, Z. Q. Sui*, J. W. Fan* and W. Z. Xiang. (2015). Physicochemical and crystalline properties of heat-moisture treated rice starch: Combined effects of moisture and length of heating. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 95, 2874-2879.
25. X. L. Kong, P. Zhu, Z. Q. Sui, J. S. Bao*. (2015). Physicochemical properties of starches from diverse rice cultivars varing in apparent amylose content and gelatinization temperature combinations. Food Chemistry, 172, 433-440.
26. P. Jing, S. Zhao, S. Ruan, Z. Q. Sui, L. Chen, L. Jiang, B. Qian*. (2014).Quantitative studies on structure–ORAC relationships of anthocyanins from eggplant and radish using 3D-QSAR. Food Chemistry, 145, 365-371.
27. F. Ding, B. Qian, X. Zhao, S. Shen, Y. Deng, D. Wang, F. Zhang, Z. Q. Sui, P. Jing*, (2013). VPPIPP and IPPVPP: Two Hexapeptides Innovated to Exert Antihypertensive Activity. PloS one, 8, e62384.
28. Z. Q. Sui, K. C.Huber, J. N. BeMiller*. (2013). Effects of the order of addition of reagents and catalyst on modification of maize starches. Carbohydrate Polymers 96, 118-130.
29. Z. Q. Sui,J. N. BeMiller*. Relationship of the channels of normal maize starch to the properties of its modified products. Carbohydrate Polymers 92, 894-904. 2013.
30. Z. Q. Sui, Y. Gizaw, J. N. BeMiller*. (2012). Extraction of polysaccharides from a species of Chlorella. Carbohydrate Polymers 90, 1-7.
31. Z. Q. Sui, A. Shah, J. N. BeMiller*. 2011. Crosslinked and stabilized in-kernel heat-moisture-treated and temperature-cycled normal maize starch and effects of reaction conditions on starch properties. Carbohydrate Polymers, 86, 1461-1467.
32. Z. Q. Sui, K. R. Agrawal, H. Corke, P. W. Lucas*. 2006. Biting efficiency in relation to incisal angulation. Archives of Oral Biology, 51, 491-497.
33. P. W. Lucas, K. Y. Ang, Z. Q. Sui, K. R. Agrawal, N. J. Dominy, J. F. Prinz. 2006. A brief review of the recent evolution of the human mouth in physiological and nutritional contexts. Physiology & Behavior, 89, 36-38.
34. Z. Q. Sui, P. W. Lucas*, H. Corke. 2006. Optimal cooking time of noodles related to their notch sensitivity. Journal of Texture Studies. 37: 428-441.
35. Z. Q. Sui, H. Corke, M. L. Oyen and P. W. Lucas*. 2007. Fracture and energy partitioning in uncooked and cooked noodles. Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings. 975: 70-74.
Address: 800 Dongchuan RD. Minhang District, Shanghai, China Copyright © 2010 Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Support by： Wei Cheng