Professor & Chair
Dr. Xianming Shi is a professor and Chair in Department of Food Science and Technology at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. He obtained his B. S. and M. S. degree in Microbiology in August 1982 and June 1988 respectively at Huazhong Agricultural University, and his Ph. D. degree in Biotechnology in March 1998 at the University of Hong Kong. He was a visiting scholar at the University of Washington (Seattle) during October 1993-October 1994, a visiting professor at Cornell University during January-August 2003, a visiting professor in the Eastern Regional Research Center, USDA during July-August 2007, and a senior visiting professor at Rutgers University during January-August 2014.
Prof. Shi has or had the following academic titles: Fellow of the International Academy of Food Science and Technology (IAFoST) (2016-), Director of MOST-USDA Joint Research Center for Food Safety (2008-), Vice President of Chinese Association for Food Protection (2014-), Ambassador for China in Global Harmonization Initiative (2012-), Fellow of National Committee for Academic Degrees in Food Science and Technology (2003-2011), Fellow of National Committee for Teaching Supervision in Food Science and Technology (2003-), Fellow of Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology (2001-) and Vice President of Chinese Sub-Association for Food Safety and Standard Technology (2012-). Moreover, he is an editorial board member for 1 English and 5 Chinese journals.
The research interest of Prof. Shi is microbiological food safety. He conducts basic and applied research in molecular ecology and the development of rapid detection methods for foodborne bacterial pathogens. Work in progress focuses on the establishment of database for target mining and risk assessment of foodborne pathogens, development of molecular detection and genotyping methods for foodborne pathogens, functional analysis of some genes in foodborne pathogens, and characterization on the stress resistance mechanism of Salmonella.
He has published 196 scientific journal articles since 1997 when he obtained a full professor position, including 103 articles in Chinese and 93 SCIE articles in English, of which he was as the first or corresponding author for 71 SCIE articles. One article published in Applied and Environmental Microbiology in 2011 was cited 198 times by others and was selected as Journal Highlights by American Society for Microbiology. Another was published in Trends in Food Science & Technology in 2009 with a citation time of 148. In addition, 13 patents have been approved as the first inventor.
As a result of his contributions, Prof. Shi has been awarded as: “Certified Food Scientist” by the International Food Science Certification Commission in 2013, the Cover Character of Journal of Scientific Chinese in 2011, “The Top Ten Best Supervisors” at Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2010, “Advanced Scientist for Earthquake Relief Work” by China Association of Science and Technology in 2008, the leading scientist of Shanghai municipality in 2007, “Quarter Century Fellow” of the international workshop on rapid methods and automation in Microbiology in Kansas, USA in August 2003.
1. December 2016 - November 2019, Development of Detection and Quantification Technologies for Foodborne Pathogens, National Key R & D Program for Intergovernmental International Scientific and Technological Innovation Cooperation, 2016YFE0106100, 3.852 million, PI: Shi, Xianming.
2. January 2013 - December 2017, Anti-stress Molecular Mechanism on Survival and Multiplication of Salmonella Enteritidis in Chicken Eggs during Storage, National Natural Science Foundation of China, Key Project, 31230058, 2.95 million, PI: Shi, Xianming.
3. January 2012 - December 2015, Precise Detection and Rapid Typing of Foodborne Microorganisms in Foodstuffs, National 863 project, 2012AA101601, 7.71 million, PI: Shi, Xianming.
4. January 2012 - December 2015, Responses of Superoxide Dismutase Genes to Oxygen Stress of Listeria monocytogenes, National Natural Science Foundation of China, 31171690, 550,000, PI: Shi Xianming.
5. January 2010 - December 2012, Molecular Mechanism of Negative Regulation of Listeria monocytogenes by ABC Transporter, National Natural Science Foundation of China, 30972485, 300,000, PI: Shi, Xianming.
6. January 2008 - December 2010, Mining and Evaluation of Molecular Detection Targets for Salmonella, National Natural Science Foundation of China, 30771792, 280,000, PI: Shi, Xianming.
7. January 2011 - December 2012, Studies on the Diversity of Enterotoxin in Foodborne Staphylococcus aureus, State International Cooperation Project for Science and Technology, 2011 DFA31220, 1 million, PI: Shi, Xianming.
8. October 2009 - October 2011, Research and Development of Control Technologies on Main Foodborne Pathogens, "Eleventh Five-Year" National Science and Technology Support Program "Food Quality and Safety Control Key Technology Research and Demonstration" Key Projects, 2009BADB9B01, Sub-project 0.72/2.75 million, PI: Shi, Xianming.
9. November 2006 - December 2008, Researches and Development of Detection Technology and Equipment of Pathogenic Biochip in Food, "Eleventh Five-Year" National Science and Technology Support Program "Food Safety Key Technology" Major Projects, 2006BAK02A14, Sub-project 600,00/2.3 million, PI: Shi, Xianming.
10. September 2005 - April 2007, Safety Testing Technology on Main Livestock Products, Shanghai Food Safety Major Project, 05DZ19101, 2.3 million, PI: Shi, Xianming.
1. Shi Xianming, Long Fei, Shi Chunlei, Zhu Xinna, Zhang Zhongming. Preparation Method of Internal Standard of Living Bacteria Based on Gene Replacement Technology. China, Patent No. ZL 200810202295.5, Authorized date: January 12, 2011.
2. Shi Xianming, Liu Bin, He Xiaohua, Shi Chunlei, Dan Xianlong. A Method for Detecting Salmonella Infection and Its Nucleic Acids and Primer Pairs. China, Patent No. ZL ZL200910311246.X, Authorized date: March 21, 2012.
3. Shi Xianming, Liu Bin, He Xiaohua, Shi Chunlei, Chen Jing. A PCR Method for Detection of Salmonella Enteritidis and Its Nucleic Acids and Primer Pairs. China, Patent No. ZL201010113922.5, Authorized date: April 1, 2012.
4. Shi Xianming, Long Fei, Shi Chunlei, Zhang Zhongming. A Method for the Preparation of Internal Standard Based on DNA Random Shuffling. China Patent No. ZL200910047045.3, Authorized date: April 9, 2012.
5. Shi Xianming, He Xiaohua, Liu Bin, Shi Chunlei. Multi-amplified Internal Standard Sequence and Its Preparation Method for PCR Detection of Foodborne Pathogenic Bacteria. China, Patent No. ZL201010300888.2, Authorization date: April 25, 2012.
6. Shi Xianming, Liu Bin, He Xiaohua, Shi Chunlei, Chen Jing. Detection of Salmonella Typhimurium by PCR and Its Nucleic Acids and Primer Pairs. China, Patent No. ZL200910311228.1, Authorized date: July 18, 2012.
7. Shi Xianming, Liu Bin, Shi Chunlei, He Xiaohua. Detection of Salmonella Pullorum by PCR and Its Nucleic Acids and Primer Pairs. China, Patent No. ZL200910311245.5, Authorized date: August 22, 2012.
8. Shi Xianming, Liu Bin, Shi Chunlei. Multi-PCR Method for the Identification of Salmonella Serogroups. China, Patent No. ZL201010301178.1. Authorization date: November 7, 2012.
9. Shi Xianming, Yang Jielin, Zhou Min, Pan Liangwen, Yuan Chengang. Reverse Transcription Fluorescence Quantitative PCR Method and Kit for Rapid Detection of Salmonella with Internal Standard and Its Application. China, Patent No. ZL201210129384.8, Authorized date: September 11, 2013.
10. Shi Xianming, LIU Bin, He Xiaohua, Shi Chunlei. Multi-PCR Detection Method for Salmonella Typhimurium and Its Serum Variants. China, Patent No. ZL201310204589.2, Authorized date: August 5, 2014.
11. Shi Xianming, Bai Yalong, Shi Chunlei, Song Minghui, Wang Dapeng, Cuiyan. A method for Rapid Detection of Pathogenic Bacteria in Foodstuffs. China, Patent No. ZL201310046266.5, Authorized date: August 15, 2014.
12. Shi Xianming, Yu Wenjuan, Shi Chunlei, Hou Jingwen, Wang Ruibin, Zhu Bangshang, Wang Dapeng A Method for Rapid Detection of Vibrio parahaemolyticus Based on Microscopic Infrared Spectroscopy. China, Patent No. ZL201310072019.2, Authorized Date: April 13, 2015.
13. Shi Xianming, Bai Yalong, Shi Chunlei, Cui Yan, Wang Dapeng. Preparation and its Application of a Polyaminosilica-Containing Magnetic Nanoparticles. China, Patent No. ZL201410647601.1, Authorized Date: October 12, 2016.
BOOKS AND CHAPTERS
1. Shi, X.M. (chief ed., 2003). Food Safety and Sanitation (text book for national students), China Agriculture Press, Beijing.
2. Shi, X.M. (chief ed., 2008). A Manual on Food Safety for Disaster Areas. China Agriculture Press, Beijing.
3. Shi, X.M. (second chief translator, 2007). Microbiological Risk Assessments in Food, China Agricultural University Press, Beijing.
4. Shi, X.M. (second chief ed., 2004). Microbes and Agriculture, Science Press, Beijing.
5. Shi, X.M. (first associate chief ed., 2005). Food Microbiology (text book for national students), China Agriculture Press, Beijing.
PUBLICATIONS IN THE LAST THREE YEARS (* corresponding author)
1. Wang W, Zhou X†, Suo Y, Deng X, Cheng M, Shi C, Shi X*. 2017. Prevalence, serotype diversity, biofilm-forming ability and eradication of Listeria monocytogenes isolated from diverse foods in Shanghai, China. Food Control, 73: 1068-1073.
2. Yu Q, Niu M, Yu M, Liu Y, Wang D*, Shi X*. 2016. Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility of Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolated from retail shellfish in Shanghai. Food Control, 60: 263-268.
3. Su X, Zhang J, Shi W, Yang X, Li Y, Pan H, Kuang D, Xu X*, Shi X*, Meng J*. 2016. Molecular characterization and antimicrobial susceptibility of Listeria monocytogenes isolated from foods and humans. Food Control, 70, 96-102.
4. Bai Y, Cui Y, Paoli G, Shi C, Wang D, Zhou M, Zhang L, Shi X*. 2016. Synthesis of amino-rich silica-coated magnetic nanoparticles for the efficient capture of DNA for PCR. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 145: 257-266.
5. Zhou X, Zhang L†, Shi C, Fratamico P, Liu B, Paoli G, Dan X, Zhuang X, Cui Y, Wang D, Shi X*. 2016. Genome-scale screening and validation of targets for identification of Salmonella enterica and serovar prediction. Journal of Food Protection, 79: 376-383.
6. He S, Zhou X, Shi C, Shi X*. 2016. Ethanol adaptation induces direct protection and cross-protection against freezing stress in Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 120: 697-704.
7. Zhang D, Xu X, Song Q, Bai Y, Zhang Y, Song M, Shi C, Shi X*. 2016. Identification of Staphylococcus argenteus in Eastern China based on a nonribosomal peptide synthetase (NRPS) gene. Future Microbiology, 11: 1113-1121.
8. Song M, Shi C, Xu X, Shi X*. 2016. Molecular typing and virulence gene profiles of enterotoxin gene cluster (egc)-positive Staphylococcus aureus isolates obtained from various food and clinical specimens. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 13: 592-601.
9. Bai Y, Cui Y, Paoli G, Shi C, Wang D, Shi X*. 2015. Nanoparticles affect PCR primarily via surface interactions with PCR components: using amino-modified silica-coated magnetic nanoparticles as a main model. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 7: 13142-13153.
10. Song M, Bai Y, Xu J, Carter M, Shi C*, Shi X*. 2015. Genetic diversity and virulence potential of Staphylococcus aureus isolates from raw and processed food commodities in Shanghai. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 195: 1-8.
11. Zhou X, He S, Song Q, Zhuang X, Wang Y, Huang X, Shi C*, Shi X*. 2015. Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis isolates associated with a mousse cake-related outbreak of gastroenteritis in Ningbo, China. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 12: 433-440.
12. Kuang D, Xu X, Meng J, Yang X, Jin H, Shi W, Pan H, Liao M, Su X, Shi X*, Zhang J*. 2015. Antimicrobial susceptibility, virulence gene profiles and molecular subtypes of Salmonella Newport isolated from humans and other sources. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 36: 294-299.
Address: 800 Dongchuan RD. Minhang District, Shanghai, China Copyright © 2010 Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Support by： Wei Cheng